Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2024

On Preaching & What Others Say

Davos, Switzerland, 17 November 2023

That everything is connected, I consider a given. As to how things are connected, I'm more often than not at a loss. Take this photograph for instance: I can't really see that what I'm now going to elaborate on has to do with it yet what came to mind when looking at this pic is this:

Lately, I spent considerable time with a book that pointed out that intellectuals rarely practise what they preach. In fact, they practise often the precise opposite of what they preach. It seems to me that such behaviour is very common, for everybody, not just intellectuals.

Therefore, it isn't really something to criticise, it is something to accept. Such acceptance, I think, has the potential to rid ourselves from useless expectations and will, hopefully, reduce our suffering.

What I'm preaching, I hardly ever practise myself; what I however hear others say or write often has quite an impact on me. What regularly comes to mind is. If you really want to please yourself, just forget your longing and attend to your daily life. In this we find goldenness. 

PS: For a long time it has been my habit to attribute quotes to the ones who have supposedly uttered them. Since I nowadays believe the what to be more important than the who, I will for once refrain from it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen