Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2023

Just do it!

 Getting older primarily means losing interests, convictions, and long held beliefs. In any case, this is what I'm experiencing. 

I used to be much taken with the workings of the media – nowadays the vanity of attention seekers disgusts me. That hardly anybody seems to realise that media people are addicted to attention, baffles me. That we should listen to such people is beyond me.

Also, throughout my life I've never questioned the rule that one should always listen to the other side. Well, I don't think so anymore. I clearly do not need to listen to people who only have opinions but hardly ever a thought. It goes without saying that thinking demands an effort, to have an opinion doesn't.

Moreover, I've never doubted that intellectual insights had the potential to make you a better person. Over the years, my respect for the thinkers with academic qualifications has however markedly decreased – they have only learned to think in systems; they hardly know anything about life.

Last but not least, one of my long held beliefs was that to see things in black and white was reserved for people who couldn't see all the grey inbetween, the simpletons, that is. Today I believe that to underline the complexity of whatever issue (the business model of psychologists, economists, and lawyers) is standing in the way of the actions that we know we have to take but shy away from. For instance, when you're an alcoholic, the solution, as I see it, is to stop drinking. It's black and white. And, it has the advantage of being simple. Just do it! That is complicated? No, it isn't. You make it complicated because you do not want to change.

Santa Cruz do Sul, 16 December 2023

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen