Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2019

Walking Meditation

In the 1990s, I spent a lot of time in Thailand, and mostly in Bangkok, where I regularly attended Buddhist lectures followed by meditation practice. Sitting meditation was definitely not my cup of tea, walking meditation however appealed to me.

Stand still, look where you want to go, plant that in your head, and now concentrate on your feet, on your walking. Keep in mind: "What arises, ceases. Thoughts will come and go, let them do that but do not cling to them", I remember a monk saying. "Gently come back to concentrate on your feet, how they touch the ground, how you lift them up, and put them down again. Be aware of your sensations, let them come and go. You are on the move - take it easy, do not get too attached to any particular part of the journey."

It might be, of course, that I do not remember correctly or that I misunderstood but what I've just described is what I daily practise. And, it clearly helps to be in the present.

To be where I am, not just physically but also mentally - this is the only goal I find worth pursuing.

Hans Durrer 2019

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen