Mittwoch, 30. September 2026

On Mondays or Guided by Unknown Forces

Santa Cruz do Sul, Brazil, 17 December 2023

Once I started to realise that I was suffering from an alcohol problem, I became determined (or so I imagined) to conquer it without any help. Alcohol, so I concluded, was a symptom; the solution lay in identifying the cause. In order to find answers, I read a lot (psychology, philosophy, literature, as well as many works on spirituality). In old diaries I came across a phenomenon that I thought striking: Already at the age of 14, I had noted that on Monday, I would start a new life. That must be it, I said to myself, I will stop drinking on a Monday. I tried, many times; it didn't work. Over time I came to believe that it had to be a special Monday, like Christmas Monday, or Easter Monday. I did of course know that this was ridiculous and could never work.

However, I got sober on Monday, 1 January 1990. A day before my 73rd birthday (Monday, 28 September 2026), when I would have to undergo surgery, I wondered what day of the week I had been born. It was Monday, 28 September 1953.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen