Sonntag, 8. September 2024

A World of Wonders

Santa Cruz do Sul, 23 February 2021

Shortly after waking up, the sudden realisation: How strange that things are working the way they do! I then stayed with that thought, let it sink in. Invariably, quite some other thoughts were creeping in – another very strange thing! – and among them this: How well designed this all is. I'm really glad I'm not in charge of, say, my digestion; I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to go about it.

The other day, I came across my ophtalmologist who asked me how I was. To be honest, I said, I do not know. My moods change so quickly – one moment I feel happy, the next depressed, and most moments I do not realise that I feel anything at all – , I cannot really tell. Well, she said, if you're reasonably healthy, then I think you're doing fine. 

Learning to appreciate what we have, to be grateful for it, this I believe is what we are here for. To identify what I could be grateful for – again: how strange that this is possible at all! – , helps me to discover that I'm blessed. In fact, we all are.

Needless to say, I do not often feel that way. So if I wish to feel that way, I need to make an effort and remind myself that the world is filled with wonders I hardly ever think about – that I can see, feel, breathe, walk and talk, to name just a few. And that, often, does the trick. For a moment, that is. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen